Thursday, June 5, 2008

Narrative 5

Ever since I was little, I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Even at the tender age of 7, when I entered l'Ecole de Danse de l'Opera Paris, I knew. It was the only thing that sparked my interest even the slightest bit. I wanted to dance. I wanted to be an etoile of the Paris Opera Ballet. The most renouned ballet in all of France. Maybe the world. I wanted to let my heart and soul soar off the stage and into those of the people watching me. I want them to feel my pain, my love, my life. I want to dance, more than anything in the world.
When I entered the school, I had no idea as to what I was getting myself into. I was amazed by the sacrifices that I needed to make, even at 7 years old. I cried everyday for the first few weeks I was there. I was away from my parents, my family, my friends. Ballet every morning, every afternoon, every night. I cried and cried. Then I realized, I wanted this. I got myself into this, and I will stick to it. My realization of my love for ballet made me stop crying.
I wanted it so badly that I worked my hardest everyday. I was 7 and the top of my class. My class where everyone was at least 2 years older than me. They were mean to me, but I knew that I had to ignore them to reach my goal. In the blink of an eye, I was 10 and in the hightest level class. I was sure that I wasnt liked very much by the other girls, but it didn't bother me too much because I was doing what I love. My teachers admired me, and pretty soon I realized that I was getting all of the lead roles in our presentations. By the time I was only 14, I was taking company classes. I was astonished by the attention I recieved by the directors. They scrutinized everyone in class, but it seemed like whenever their eyes reached me, a warm smile won over their faces, and changed thier whole body language. Then they continued their study and tightened their faces. I began in the corps roles, but I was fine with that because I was still doing what I loved. During the company's opening season, I realized that when I looked at the assignment sheet for the roles of the dancers, that I was given the lead role in our opening performance of Giselle. I felt gifted, rewarded, and most of all, accomplished. Of course, the performance was the day after my 17th birthday. That night, when I opened Giselle, waw slike all of my best dreams compacted together, and formed into one reality. I could barely believe it was real. The day after my opening performance, I was given a chance. A chance to begin my life. A chance to begin my dream. I knew I had to take it. Which leaves me here. A contract in my shaking hands. My heart pounding. Sweat building up. A huge smile on my face. Without hesitation, I signed that piece of paper that would change my life. That piece of paper made me my dream. It made my dream come true. It made me an etoile of the Paris Opera Ballet. My life long dream from age 7, finally coming true 10 years later. Dreams really do come true. Now i get to look forward to the rest of my life, living that dream.

No comments: